Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Plymouth Whaler shootout win in the cold



 
 
 
The Plymouth Whalers were playing at Comerica Park a few days ago. They were playing in the Winter Classic Festival. The Windsor Spitfires and the Saginaw Spirit were playing in the game just before and I saw both games. You should know who I was rooting for in the first game, the Spirit because they are close to us and I do not like the Windsor Spitfires because they are rivals with the Whalers. But anyway the festival had lots of booths with hockey stuff and trophies from the NHL and OHL. They also had a fan zone where they had street hockey, skating on synthetic ice, big slides, food, bands and more.

Before the Whalers game, we were waiting by the dugout so we could clap for the Whalers when they came out. After that, we went back to our seats and I put my program on the chair next to the seat and a lady came up and asked if she could see the program and I said "Yes" and then she said "Who is your favorite player?" I said "Ryan Hartman" and she said "Oh, then you are a Whalers fan". I said "Yes, we are season ticket holders". She was really nice and asked me who was my favorite OHL player of all time I said "Tyler Seguin". She said her son worked out with him at his gym. Then she said her son is a rookie on the London  Knights who the Whalers were playing. She said her son was Santino Centorame and was #88 so we talked about Santino for a little while. Then she asked me about my hockey team and what position I play. She was a nice lady so me and my dad said "Good luck to Santino on his hockey career." I thought that was pretty cool so I put up Santino's picture here and we were watching him during the game.

Now onto the game. There were no goals until the third period when the Whalers scored a goal from the point by Mathieu Henderson. It was a nice pretty goal and I think the goalie was looking the other way. Then the Knights came back and scored on a power player when Mitch Jones took a interference penalty. The game went to overtime and it was very slow for the Whalers but we got through it. Then came the shootout. Connor Chatham was first for the Whalers but he missed and London scored the next time. Then Zach Lorentz scored and London scored too but then Francesco Vilardi scored so when Alex Nedeljkovic stopped the Knights last shot, we won!

It was really cold for the game and it was raining too but it was a good time. Me and my brother Alex even got in a picture in the Detroit News where we are congratulating the Whalers at the dugout after the game. It is the last picture here and Alex is in the pink jersey and I am next to him in black and next to me is a guy in blue.

Go Whalers!

No comments:

Post a Comment